Back to full-time job

After being on my own from Jan 2007, I have finally moved to a full-time job. I have joined as a user-interface consultant in one of the MNCs at Hyderabad.

I have worked as a free-lance web developer and successfully implemented web based projects in last three years. For reasons I could not really understand completely now, I have decided I should get back to a full-time job and pursue my career primarily in the field of user-interface development.

I started my career(or should I say ‘my career was started’, as I am not sure I myself started it) as a software engineer trainee at Satyam Computer Services Ltd. in Jan 2005. It was not long before I realized I must leave job and do something different. I worked there for two years before eventually quitting the job after two dramatic attempts at resigning and finally becoming intentionally-jobless in Jan 2007.

Initially, the decision to leave job and try something on my own was more of an impulsive kind than a clearly thought out plan. I found myself a misfit in the IT industry and desperately wanted to do something different with my life then.

I have no regrets what so ever. In fact if you ask me to brag a little bit, I am so proud that at least I have had the guts to do it. I know many people who hate their jobs every day and yet they never really do something to change. Many people warned me then that I may eventually ruin my career. I am still not sure whether they were right.

Thanks to everyone who have supported me in the last three years. I think I will run out of space if I mention everyone’s name here. Sometimes, I feel very blessed to have many friends and relatives who really care for me and have been with me through all the good and bad times.

A special thanks to everyone who read my articles here and sent me encouraging comments!

And a big thanks to my dad and everyone at home. I know how it had been for my dad all these years. But he never really insisted me to do this or that. I know how it feels when people ask about what your son is doing. It’s so embarrassing to manage.

And I am happy for one more reason too. Now I do not have to listen to the boring lectures from people about my career and how I am ruining it. Sometimes, I secretly dreaded to attend any social gatherings, as the first question from people would be why am I not doing a job? And then typical Indian middle class questions and comparisons which I started to hate.

I have learned many things in life whether they are technical or other stuff during the freelance years. I have met many interesting people who have become my best friends, and whom I surely wouldn’t have met if I were in job. What if I hadn’t left job? Like many other questions in life I will never find answer to this question.

I have discovered writing is one of my passions. I never took writing seriously before. Even in my wildest dreams I have never thought of becoming a writer as such three years ago. When I started reading many books with the  freedom of not being in a full-time job, I slowly developed interest in writing. Writing really helped me to understand many aspects of my personality.

Like writing, music happened so randomly that there was every chance for it not to happen. In May 2009, I met a music teacher at Isha yoga center, Coimbatore, and she taught me the basics of Indian classical music. With the kind of encouraging feedback she gave me, I have plans to take it further when the time comes and learn some form of classical music though I may not become a professional singer.

Though I miss my freedom when I am in a full-time job, I will have to find time for other stuff too while pursing the career seriously.

More than anything else, now, I realized I must take  job more seriously and build my career.

Wish me good luck on this new journey!

Thank you for reading!!!

This entry was posted in: PersonalBookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

21 Comments

1. Naveen
    Posted April 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

All the best for your future Endeavors

2. Posted April 10, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Hmm…here we go, he’s finally back to the mainstream of the ‘not so happy full-time-job goers’ community! I have seen Chandu through it all, right from the time he got into IT, his freelance, his confusions and questions, his passion for reading, the latest passion on writing, music… and what not!

I wish he keeps doing all that despite a full-time-job. I hope in all these years he has learnt how to manage and balance various aspects of life – work for a living, nurture interests, practice passions and more importantly have fun!

All the best to you ra.

P.S.: Guess you should send this link to all our friends.

• Posted April 11, 2010 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Thank you Bharath. Finding enough time for hobbies while in full-time job is really challenging. But lets see how I can manage. I must learn from you in this aspect as you are balancing many other things apart from day job :)

3. Posted April 10, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

Have a climbing career….
    hope it wont be like a mad run in a rat race which you have hated like anything i guess

4. Kalyan
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 12:37 am | Permalink

All the best Chandu

5. Posted April 11, 2010 at 7:56 am | Permalink

@naveen, mahesh, kalyan… thank you:)

6. vinay
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Only one thing I want to say …All the best ra….. :)

7. kk
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

All the best anna..

8. rahavendar
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Congratulation…………. all the best for ur future……….

9. karteek
    Posted April 11, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Chandu,

Sorry I did not get to call you. You joined on April 1st. me too.
    Reading this I remember a poem “Leisure”. wherein the poet laments that people now a days do not have time to experience the beauty and little things around us. May be everyone need a break to look at things inside and around us.
    All the best for your new job.

Karteek

10. Posted April 11, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

@vinay, kk, raghavendar: thank you!!

11. Surya
    Posted April 12, 2010 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Hope you’ll find enuff time once you get rolling..
    And I guess,since you are in town, you are going to tag with brat reddy on his (mis?)adventures (ala Don quixote and sancho..)

• Posted April 12, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Surya, is it mis-adventures or Ms-adventures :)

12. Vinutha
    Posted April 20, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Hey chandu!!!

All the best !!!! and wish that you still continue your blogging. Its quite inspiring and encouraging to read your blogs. Never took time to send you the comments but i always fall back on your blog whenever i want to read something very original which is different in its own sense.

• Posted April 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Vinutha. Happy to know that you find my writings original. Hope I will write here more regularly!

13. Naresh Reddy
    Posted May 12, 2010 at 2:56 am | Permalink

All the best Chandu.

14. deepak
    Posted June 5, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

You join work and so many people congratulate !!!

15. Posted July 18, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Hey Chandra,
    It was great working with you and all the very best in your job.

Looking forward to work with you in my next project i.e Home Made chocolates business.

All the very best,
    -Himanshu Sheth.

16. Venki
    Posted November 27, 2010 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Good luck in grabbing your kind of work.

Lot of us dream, yet only few can act to create history. I appreciate your guts, but would request not to give up.

17. Posted September 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Its good to be work when you are ready :)
    Like some one wise said: We live as if we are going to do it forever. Stop, savour, then do what you’re supposed to do.

And, as you have mentioned. It is more important to work where you heart is.

Share your thoughts

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *