A man with eight rings

Few weeks back when I was shopping, I happened to see a man who had eight rings combined on his two hands. The moment I saw him, I knew I have got something interesting to write here.

First things first, let me explain how he looked. From his appearance it wasn’t difficult for me to guess that he was in mid-forties and definitely with some political backing. In India, if you see someone wearing a white trouser and white shirt, chances are high that he is from some kind of political organization (or a school going kid if its a Saturday :) ). He looked decent enough though except for that typical way rich people manage themselves in public places.

Coming to the rings, the total cost of all the eight rings can easily be in six figured Indian rupees. And who knows may be more as they contained some kind of stones etched in them. What I am sure is that the money can easily feed at least ten poor families for an entire year.

I really don’t understand why people go to such extremes to get the fortune work on their side. I often wonder whether those little metal rings really work to bring more money into people’s lives, let alone happiness. I mean no offense to people who wear rings. Even I wear one, but it costs less than a dollar! Engagement rings and wedding rings are different, they are part of tradition in most cultures and may be a way to express the commitment towards relationship.

Instead of saying eight rings on two hands, now I think, its better to say one ring on each finger except two thumbs. God knows why not on thumbs. May be its not possible to put a ring on thumb because it may easily slip out of the thumb. How bad the thumb might feel for not being able to hold something as simple as a ring. It might be really jealous about other fingers which are proudly showcasing the man’s lust for gold and money.

In my wildest imagination I thought how he manages his morning ablutions? Will he remove all the rings and put them back? If so, how will he manage to put the rings on correct fingers :) ? Somehow I could not stop imagining this. I wanted to ask him but you know why I couldn’t.

Coming to some serious stuff, God will be more happy if he donates the money those rings cost to destitute people.

Gold is nothing but like any other metal that is dug out from the earth. Except it shines. But people go mad for gold. I am sure most of us have heard stories of people who swallowed gold coins to hide them from thieves. How crazy people can go.

If only people like him – who have more money than they can actually spend in a few lifetimes – come forward to spend the money in a more meaningful way, this world would surely be a better place to live.

PS: If you are someone wearing eight rings or may be more or less, I have no intention to offend you nor the person who suggested you to wear them. I know it’s completely a personal choice. I thought this topic would give me a good writing excercise that I badly need.

This entry was posted in: MusingsBookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Vishal K Gundamaraju
    Posted February 27, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

That is really funny and thot provoking.

2. Posted March 1, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I have argued relentlessly with people who justify their purchase of gold jewellery as an “investment”. If you’re interested in gold as an investment, then buy Gold bonds or bank-certified gold bars. It takes a while for them to realize that jewellery is just an expense and an inefficient allocation of personal and society’s resources.

A person who believes in wearing 8 rings is very unlikely to listen to our “cold” logic anyway. *sigh*

3. Posted March 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks 4 visiting my blog…Keep Writing :)

4. RAVI SHANKAR
    Posted April 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

U’R CREATIVE IDEAS VERY NICE………….

5. sreeji
    Posted April 16, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

It is his wish as to what he wants to wear. Nobody questions when rich kids spend money on ipods and other cool and expensive gadgets. NObody asks why Akshay Kumar needs Louis vuitton scarves or why Amitabh has cars worth crores. All this money could have been used to feed lakhs of people. I agree that wearing 8 rings is not the cool thing now. But I wonder what you would have said if Anjelina jolie did that. The point is that a lot of people are leading wasteful lavish lifestyles. No need to single out one person just because he dosen’t fit your perception of style. All that matters is that the person wearing feels good wearing what he wears.

• Posted April 16, 2009 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I had no intention to single out any one person. I have seen many who wear eight rings. I would have said the same if Anjelina jolie did that :)

I never said people should give the money to feed other people, though we know there are people who do that and there are plenty in fact, though they are not as famous as the celebrities. My whole idea was if people do such stuff to get luck on their side by wearing some metals on fingers, I don’t understand why.

I know that people waste a hell lot of money on lavish life styles. Everyone has the personal choice to lead life the way they want.

Thanks for taking to time to respond.

6. Gagan
    Posted June 11, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Hey, this post was a nice and funny read. :) Esp that part about the thumb being all jealous.
    Accepted that it is a noble thought to not spend lavishly, but it depends on the persons perception of life. If just buying rings and wearing them gives you happiness, then why not. We all invest so much on a nice house, on a great wedding party, on so many other things… and we never justify that right ?
    To sincerely help others, you need to be happy or content with yourself to some extent.
    You need to live for yourself too, and perhaps at the same time be generous to help the needy.

• Posted June 11, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

thank you for sharing your thoughts! and I am happy that you found it funny and nice to read.

Share your thoughts

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *